Pages

Thursday, June 19, 2008

Huffington Post starts local news push


Recently, I have been having a sense of deja vu. It seems as I pick up the newspaper and read its articles, I have a sense that I have read these stories before. Perhaps that second reading of the same news helps to remind me that I did indeed read it and causes me to better remember what I have read. They say repetition improves memory.

Still, I wonder if the web's impact on my news gathering will shortly force me to abandon the newspaper for my digital paper. I equate this to when I stopped using the newspaper to get the movie schedule and times as the web became faster and more convenient. I feel like the day will shortly come where I will no longer go outside to my driveway to pick up the paper and simply turn on my pc or digital device to download my day's news.

As one of my sources for news content, The Huffington Post has become a daily, or even twice daily read, for the latest headlines, politics, media, business, and even entertainment news. Its desire to add local content is encouraging, but I may be unnecessary. I can easily download other sites to get that information, too. Still, their mission is to be the internet newspaper and local is a part of that coverage. They are indeed challenging the current landscape.

No comments:

Post a Comment