Cynopsis Digital did a terrific job outlining all the ways ESPN will cover its Masters coverage in April.
Multiplatform features include:
- ESPN360.com: video coverage of Par 3 contest on April 9, 3-5 pm ET
- ESPN.com: live "look ins" of the action, video highlights, analysis, live blogging and chats, WAP-compatible scores and information
- ESPN Arcade: a putting game simulating the greens of the 11th, 12th and 13th holes
- ESPN Widgets: embeddable application providing scoring, news and video highlights
- ESPN PodCenter: daily coverage of Thursday & Friday play and highlights from all 4 days
To me this is the ideal use of linear TV and broadband. I'm sure they are looking at more mobile opportunities, and the opportunity to show more video on cellular. But it is clear, that the strategy is to augment the viewing experience across platforms, not simply be duplicative. It uses the strengths of each platform to enhance the linear viewing experience. I can't wait to watch!