Pages

Wednesday, April 30, 2008

My Cable Company Wish List

When Viacom, Paramount, Lionsgate and MGM announced they were creating a new pay TV network, the big question pay television was asking became what draws customers to buy their service, original programming or movies. Obviously it is a percentage of each, but I would be hard pressed to to tell you which is more valuable to the purchase decision.

So I want to ask a bigger question, what type of service do you want from your cable company. As competition draws more intense and Verizon and AT&T enter more markets, what services draw the consumer to one service over another. Time Warner has invested in more advanced services, to improve the value of the cable box. Instead, I'd like to figure out a way to make the cable box invisible to the room. Hide the device behind the tv set and let it communicate wirelessly to a central server/converter box that can allow me to access my prerecorded shows to any tv set; that allows me to watch movies that I have downloaded on my pc to my set, that lets me customize my channel lineup so I can still search up and down my favorite channels; and works without latency or digital disruption. Make it work effortlessly. And make a remote control device as simple as the Apple ipod. And lastly, when a service problem occurs, to provide exceptional response, and not a 3 day delay to come out. That's what I want from my cable company.

No comments:

Post a Comment